I love to teach. Teaching is not a side job or stepping stone to another performance related career. I am eager to share my passion for music by embracing musicianship and musicality in private students of all ages – from 2 to 75+!
- Masters in Music Teaching from Northern Arizona University.
- Bachelor of Arts with an emphasis in Piano Performance from Arizona State University.
- Accompanist for eight years for Scottsdale Community College Jazz Choirs and classes.
- Active Member of MTNA since 2000
- Active Member of PMTA since 2009
- Dedicated to enthusiastic and dynamic teaching as a means of creating and nurturing a lifelong love of music through piano.
- Teaching privately in Scottsdale since 1997.
- Fully equipped Online and In-Person studio.
Private Instruction Philosophy
My philosophy as a teacher is to nurture the art of music by providing a well-rounded curriculum encompassing a broad range of musicianship skills. I believe that a high level of musicality is achieved by focusing on the process. This process-oriented approach helps the student to discover personal rewards in musical study, find enjoyment in music-making, feel confident of his/her ability to learn and to feel that the effort invested into piano studies is a worthwhile endeavor. The study of piano is a rewarding experience and is important for developing a student’s gifts/talents as a vital part of investing in their future.
My Teaching Style and Method
While this studio offers a multitude of performance opportunities, I teach with the intent that students will enjoy playing throughout their lifetime. Weekly piano lessons incorporate the learning of new material, sight-reading, musical statement and piano technique. Beginning to Intermediate students use the acclaimed Faber & Faber Piano Adventure series. Late-Advanced and adult students are individually assessed in theory and technical skills. From this assessment, each student is provided with repertoire selected to build on their strengths and challenge their weaknesses. Repertoire ranges from the Baroque to Contemporary styles and is chosen by both the student and instructor.
Working as a team with a choral/ensemble director is one of the most rewarding positions that I have held. Accompanying is a passion and something that I love to do. It’s important that an accompanist be prompt, reliable, prepared, and willing to work to accomplish the musical direction that a conductor is working towards.
- Pianist with twenty one years of private teaching experience and twenty three years of accompanying experience from church services, choral accompanying to jazz ensembles.
- Able to teach beginning to advanced theory
- Able to play all styles and genres.
- Teach all styles of music from baroque to jazz.
- Specialize in sight-reading of all musical styles.
- 2, 3, or 4-part score reading.
- Able to lead and rehearse sectionals.
- Ability to work and engage students of all ages.
- Utilized theory and computer-integrated studies for many years.
- Desire to accompany and teach professionally.
- Motivational private lessons that engage students in active learning.
Accompanying & Studio History
- Committee member for PMTA’s Fall Festival 2019
- Accompanist for The Music Store’s Choral Readings, Summer 2019
- 10 students participated in the 2018 PMTA Fall Festival. Four students were Gold Medal Winners!
- Accompanist for The Music Store’s Choral Readings, Summer 2018
- 10 students participated in the 2017 PMTA Fall Festival. Two students were Gold Medal Winners!
- Accompanist for The Music Store’s Choral Readings, Summer 2017
- 14 students participated in the 2016 PMTA Fall Festival. Nine students were Gold Medal Winners!
- Accompanist for Air Academy High School final concert 2016-2017
- Accompanist for The Music Store’s Choral Readings, Summer 2016
- Eight students participated in the World Premier of Emily Bear’s 24-piano composition at the Mesa Arts Center 2016 Annual Gala
- 14 students participated in the 2015 PMTA Fall Festival. Nine students were Gold Medal Winners!
- Accompanist for The Music Store’s Choral Readings, Summer 2015
- 19 students participated in the 2014 PMTA Fall Festival. Seven students were Gold Medal Winners!