Returning to Studio Options
Students are not required to take in-person lessons at this time. While they are the preferred way to teach and learn I do not want anyone returning in-person that is not 100% comfortable with the Studio Health Policies or comfortable being in-person in general. It is very understandable that everything is fluid at this time and I have created the following “return to lessons” options:
- OPTION A: Normal piano lessons. The student and myself will be within 1-2 feet of each other. The student may wear a mask if preferred. I will be working with hand shape, wrist motion, feeling the beat and so forth. There will be minimal but often close contact. I will tab pages, make notes on the music, highlight scores etc. This is a typical private, interactive lesson environment. Upon request I will wear a facial covering.
- OPTION B: Slightly distanced lessons. There will be a 3-5 foot distance between myself and the student. I will use my standing desk and be approximately 3-5 feet away from the student using the acoustic piano. I can still see the music relatively well and will give instruction via another piano in the studio. Only the student will have contact with the acoustic piano. Students will be required to bring their own piano PIANO KIT to tab their pages and make notes. If I need to get closer than 3-5 feet I will use a facial covering. The student may use a face mask if preferred.
- OPTION C: Distanced lessons. There will be a 6-8 foot distance between myself and the student. I will use my standing desk and be approximately 6-8 feet away from the student using the digital piano. I can’t see the music very well so there will be a lot more repetition. I will give instruction via another piano in the studio. Only the student will have contact with the digital piano. Students will be required to bring their own piano PIANO KIT to tab their pages and make notes. If I need to get closer than 6 feet I will use a facial covering. The student may use a face mask if preferred.
- OPTION D: Online Lessons
Factors to consider when returning to modified lessons in the studio:
- Any person who enters my home is in a private space and is entering at their own risk.
- If a student is very young or easily distracted they may be do better online if you are not comfortable with a normal lesson (Option A) or if they find it very difficult to keep their hands away from their face.
- If distancing-options (Option B or C) are chosen then also consider how long it takes a student to unload their books and pack up their books at the end of a lesson as I will not be aiding them per your request at a distanced lesson. Consider if they are able to make their own markings on the music, turn pages and understand verbal cues. The older the student, the easier this is. I cannot be late for my next student so if they are slow to pack up then we will need to end the lesson several minutes early.
- I am glad to offer up my personal recommendations for each student. It is my goal that lessons are as effective as possible.