Established in 1997, Scottsdale Piano Academy is a private piano studio located in Scottsdale, Arizona. Classically trained pianist Lesli Hanson, M.M. provides professional and enthusiastic instruction to students of all ages.
My Teaching Philosophy
To put it simply, I love teaching! My philosophy as a teacher is to nurture the art of music by providing a well-rounded curriculum encompassing a broad range of musicianship skills. I believe that a high level of musicality is achieved by focusing on the process. This process-oriented approach helps the student to discover personal rewards in musical study, find enjoyment in music-making, feel confident of his/her ability to learn and to feel that the effort invested into piano studies is a worthwhile endeavor. The study of piano is a rewarding experience and is important for developing a student’s gifts/talents as a vital part of investing in their future.
My Teaching Style and Method
While this studio offers several performance opportunities, I teach with the intent that students will enjoy playing throughout their lifetime. Weekly piano lessons incorporate the learning of new material, sight-reading, musical statement and piano technique. Beginning to Intermediate students use the acclaimed Faber & Faber Piano Adventure series. Late-Intermediate to Advanced students are individually assessed in theory and technical skills. From this assessment, each student is provided with repertoire selected to build on their strengths and challenge their weaknesses. Repertoire ranges from the Baroque to Contemporary styles and is chosen by both the student and instructor.
Adult students will find the private lesson atmosphere to be non-intimidating and weekly material to be very accessible. Private piano lessons are a widening experience that increases personal awareness, happiness and fulfillment.
Lessons are also a great foundation for young minds. Learning to play the piano, and the self-discipline of practicing, is helpful in preparing for complex tasks in both work and life. Parents who wish to give their children the rewarding gift of piano lessons will discover them to be unique and tailored to each student. Each weekly lesson provides a comprehensive foundation of musicianship skills in a fun and engaging environment.
- Lessons are held year-round
- Comprised of students ages four through adult
- Positive encouragement and incentives
Seven themed recitals per year
- Composer Spotlight Recital - select students
- Arizona Study Program Recital - Arizona Study Program students
- Spring Recital - all students
- Summer All-Starz Recital - open to all students
- Fall Honors Recital - select students
- Winter Recital - all students
- Music at the Mall Event - open to all students
- Parents are welcome to observe lessons
- Waiting area for siblings and family
- Warm-up area for students
- Students have the option to participate in the Arizona Study Program